OBSCURA Volume 19 / Autumn & Winter 2015
What We Talk About When We Talk About Love
This Autumn & Winter 2015 edition intends to explore how different people interpret the topic of love. It could be the strong affection felt between lovers, family members or friends. It could also be an enjoyment or passion towards something you do.
1. Love Letters – We visited the 93-year-old Okushi Tsuchie in Fukuoka of Japan and had a profound talk with her on discussing the wonder of love for her late husband, who passed away 70 years ago;
2. More Than A Pledge – A keepsake is a kind of proof, and a promise between the giver and the receiver. We invited eight creative units to create and define, in their own unique way, a selected keepsake;
3. A Room With A View – In the cities they visited, Studio TM, a husband-and-wife photography team, used various houses in foreign lands as carriers of their feelings and memories, by taking pinhole camera photographs and writing down flow of thoughts;
4. The Color of Skin – We visited xiang Se, a unique restaurant in Taiwan, and experienced how such a beautiful space could fill with small and delicate emotions, and understood better the kind of interaction between persons, between a person and food, and between a person and the environment, as well as the relations that can grow out of the interaction;
5. The Ultimate Peak of Love – An interview with Ed Loftus, an Oakland-based artist known for his hyperrealistic graphite drawings, who doesn’t see his obsessive-compulsive disorder as a defect, but a powerful way to express his creativity.
Cover Photography & Illustration by Irene Leung
Print Details: 144 pages, perfect bound with a white cloth spine, full-color.
Printed in Hong Kong.